Hawkshead – Old Grammar School
Grid Ref SD 352980
The Old Grammar School in Hawkshead was founded in 1585 by the Archbishop of York, Edwin Sandys. The ground floor classroom retains many old desks covered in carving done by the boys, including the poet William Wordsworth and his brother John.
Upstairs is the headmaster’s study and a classroom containing an exhibition relating to the history of the school, the founder and William Wordsworth.
Whilst at school in Hawkshead, William lodged with Ann Tyson and her husband, who were in their sixties, first in the village, then at Colthouse where they moved in 1783. Anne Tyson’s cottage is a private home, now used as a holiday cottage.
Related Links :