Location : Hawkshead
Grid Ref : SD 349987
Hawkshead Courthouse is all that remains of the medieval manorial farm belonging to Furness Abbey, which until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1537 owned the whole of High Furness. The building was originally the east side of a quadrangle, and consisted of a gatehouse with the court room above. This is the only part to have survived the destruction of the other buildings.
After passing through various hands, it was given to the National Trust in 1932.
The key to view the building is available from the National Trust shop in Hawkshead.
Related Links :