Brathay – Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church at Brathay was built in the Italianate style by the Redmaynes of Brathay Hall, at the head of Windermere, and consecreated in 1836. Within the graveyard are some ornate tombs of members of the Redmayne family which are worth looking at. The church has an unusual and impressive ivy covered facade. The Redmaynes made their fortune in the Italian silk trade, which may explain the style of the Church.
Because of the lie of the land the Church lies in a north south direction, rather than the usual east west direction. It has an open nave, without any pillars, and a lovely arched wooden ceiling from which lights on long chains hang.
There are some interesting stained glass windows depicting many of the early saints, including St Hilda with a small replica of an abbey (above), and St Cecilia with a musical instrument, by Shrigley and Hunt. The East window, by Powell of Whitefriars, shows St George, Christ and St Alban.
The finely carved screen leads through the chancel arch into the chancel, with beautifully carved wooden panelling and reredos. One of the windows here depicts on either side of Jesus’ head a pelican feeding its young with its own blood (see this also at St Martin’s Chuch, Brampton).
It was at this church that Dr Hugh Redmayne, the surgeon son of the local squire, married Katherine Mary Bromfield in 1883. For their marriage her elder sister Dorothy wrote the now famous hymn ‘O Perfect Love’. This became popular when Queen Victoria’s grand-daughter, Princess Louise, chose it for her marriage to the Duke of Fife.
Go to Menu :