St Martin’s Church – Bowness on Windermere
Location : Bowness-on-Windermere
Grid Ref : SD 402969
The Parish Church of St Martin, Lake Road, Bowness-on-Windermere, LA23 3DE. Telephone 015394 44176.
St Martin’s Church is the parish Church of Bowness, and was built in 1483, with various alterations, including the restoration of 1870, when the Church was enlarged by Paley and Austin. Wall paintings in the Chancel and on the West wall date from that time, as does a comprehensive decorative scheme throughout the whole Church. The outstanding feature is the East window, and it is of credit to the Victorian restorers that when the Chancel was built, the famous glass, some dating from the 15th Century, was skilfully renovated.
A comprehensive Church booklet, with a cover drawing of the Church by A. Wainwright, describes in detail a walk round the Church, giving details of objects of interest. These include a 13th Century font, a statue of St Martin, an ancient oak chest from the 17th Century, ancient books ,George III’s Royal Coat of Arms, a marble reredos by Paley and Austin, and many interesting stained glass windows.
From the front, looking back towards the tower, on the spandrels, or spaces between the arches, are eight black letter inscriptions probably put there about 1600. They are questions and answers taken from a book by Robert Openshaw in 1548.
Related Links: www.stmartin.org.uk