The South Lakes Area of the Lake District
Go to : Places to Stay
Ambleside has a population of about 2600, and is beautifully situated in the Rothay valley one mile north of the head of Windermere lake. One of the major centres for climbing and walking, it is a good central point for the ordinary visitor and has routes to most parts of the Lake District.
Bowness-on-Windermere is a sprawling tourist town on the shore of Windermere, about halfway along the length of the lake between Waterhead at the North end, and Lakeside at the South end.
- Places to stay: hotels, b&b, holiday cottages, lodges, holiday parks, glamping, hostels and camping. Visit here >>
- Places to visit: family attractions, boat trips, museums, historic houses and gardens open to the public. Visit here >>
- Activities: water sports, bike and boat hire, adventure activities. Visit here >>
- What’s On: from annual festivals to live music in local inns. Visit here >>
- Towns and Villages of the South Lakes. Visit here >>
- Transport and Parking: including the Mega Map of car parks in the South Lakes. Visit here >>