Dent – St Andrew’s Church

 

Location Dent
Grid Ref SD 705870

 

Dent - St Andrew's Church

 

The 12th Century church of St Andrew in Dent was rebuilt in 1417, and probably came under the care of the monks of Coversham Abbey, near Middleham. Further restorations took place in 1590, 1787 and 1889.

 

It has served the small farming community for at least 1000 years. You can still see Norman features in the Tower, the Nave (including the pillars) and the Norman-arched doorway, now blocked but clearly visible from the outside, in the north-facing wall.

 

Dent - St Andrew's Church

 

Dent - St Andrew's Church

 

There is a memorial in the Church to Adam Sedgwick (1785-1873), who was born in the village, and went on to become professor of geology at Cambridge University. He was a close friend of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, and never forgot his local dales – remaining a lifelong benefactor.

 

Go to Menu :

stats