Grand mansions around Lake Windermere

 
Broadleys

Broad Leys

Broad Leys

Designed By Charles F A Voysey as a holiday home in 1898 for A Currer Briggs of Leeds, now the Windermere Motor Boat Racing Club.
 
 
Read more
 
 
 
 
 
Wray Castle
Wray Castle.

Wray Castle.

Not a real castle but a private house built in in the Gothic Revival Style in 1840. It was built for Dr Dawson,a retired Liverpool surgeon, and is now owned by the National Trust. The house was built using his wife’s inheritance from a gin fortune.
 
 
Read more

 
 
 
 
 
Langdale Chase
The Langdale Chase Hotel.

Langdale Chase

A large Elizabethan style gabled house built as a private house in 1891 to a design by J.L. Ball, J.T. Lee and Pattinson of Manchester. It was built for Mrs Edna Howarth, whose husband was a businessman from Manchester.
 
Gardens by Thomas Mawson.
 
 
 
Read more

 
 
 
Holehird
Holehird.

Holehird.

The house you see today was designed by J.S. Crowther, architect of Manchester Cathedral, in 1865. The house was owned by the Groves family from 1897 to 1945, when the estate was given to the people of Windermere.Gardens by Thomas Mawson.
 
Read more
 
Brockhole
Brockhole.

Brockhole.

Brockhole was built by wealthy Manchester silk merchant William Henry Aldolphus Gaddum. Architect Dan Gibson designed the house.Gardens by Thomas Mawson.
 
 
 
Read more
 
 
 
 
Blackwell
Blackwell

Blackwell

Blackwell is one of England’s most important surviving houses from the turn of the 20th century. It was designed by M H Baillie Scott between 1897 and 1900, and is a superb example of Arts and Crafts movement architecture, with most of the original decorative interiors still intact.
 
Gardens by Thomas Mawson.
 
Read more
 
 
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall.

Storrs Hall.

Storrs Hall, a grade ll Georgian Mansion, 1808-1811 by Joseph Gandy (1771-1843). Within the grounds is the National Trust-owned folly the “Temple” – an octaganal garden house with arched openings. The house and temple were built for Sir John Legard, but greatly improved by a later owner, John Bolton.
 
Read more
 
 
 
Newby Bridge Hotel
Newby Bridge Hotel

Newby Bridge Hotel

The Newby Bridge Hotel was originally known as the Newby Bridge Mansion. It was built in 1793 by James Machel, whose family had been prominent in the area since the 12th Century when Ulf the Machel was the local laird. Newby Bridge Mansion was one of the first great houses to be built on the shores of Lake Windermere.The Machels were friendly with William Wordsworth and copies of correspondence with the great poet are displayed at the hotel, including a poem by Wordsworth “To Lizzie” which is dedicated to one of the Machel children.
 
The literary connection has continued through the years, as Arthur Ransome, author of Swallows and Amazons was also a frequent visitor to the hotel.

 
Go to Menu :

 

stats