A huge range of Windermere activities, on and around the lake. See the complete list of boat and bike hire in the Windermere area. There’s also a fascinating selection of walks in the area with maps, essential details, photos and commentary.
Scroll down to see other outdoor activities around Windermere. Or jump to visitor centres with Windermere activities, watersports on Windermere, sailing clubs, marinas, and water and land based outdoor activity providers operating around Windermere, Ambleside, Coniston and Langdale.
For less adrenaline see the Places to Visit around Windermere page.
Visitor Centres for Windermere activities
Brockhole Visitor Centre
The Lake District National Park Authority Visitor Centre, set in 30 acres on the shores of Windermere lake is host to a wide range of outdoor activities for all ages
Grizedale Visitor Centre
The Forestry Commission Visitor Centre is found deep in the forest between Coniston Water and Windermere lake. It’s well worth the 25 minute drive from Ambleside for the excellent facilities on offer.
Back to Top
Windermere Water Sports
Windermere activities on the lake, including water sports experiences and courses, marinas and sailing clubs.
Charter your own yacht on Windermere lake or take sailing courses with qualified RYA instructors. Modern Beneteau Oceanis cruising yachts on jetties close to Bowness-on-Windermere.
Low Wood Bay Watersports
Located on the north-east shore of lake Windermere mid way between Ambleside and Windermere.
Windermere Canoe & Kayak
Windermere Activities Providers
Highly experienced and qualified providers offer Windermere activities across a broad spectrum of disciplines. Make the most of your stay in the Lake District by joining them for a couple of hours, a half day or a full day of high octane fun.
Adventure North West
Qualified UK Mountain Leaders and Rock Climbing Instructors Mark and Kate head up this highly experienced Windermere activities company based in Ambleside. Tel: 07971 622616
Back to Top
Windermere Sailing Clubs
These are predominantly members-only sailing clubs and are very welcoming to new members of any level of experience. Just bring enthusiasm and a willingness to pitch in and learn.
- Royal Windermere Yacht Club. Bowness-on-Windermere. LA23 3DJ. 015394 43106. Website
- The Lake District Boat Club. Bowness-on-Windermere. LA23 3HE. 015394 43595. Website
- South Windermere Sailing Club. Fell Foot. Windermere, LA12 8NN. Website
Back to Top
For boat moorings, launching facilities, chandlery and boat yard services on Windermere lake.
- Windermere Marina: Bowness on Windermere, LA23 3JQ. +44(15394) 46551. Website
- Windermere Quays Marina: Bowness-on-Windermere, LA23 3HE. +44(15394) 42121. Website
- Maiden Marine: Bowness on Windermere, LA23 3JH. +44(15394) 88050. Website
- South Lake District Council: Bowness on Windermere, LA23 3JH. +44(15394) 42753. Website
- Low Wood Bay Marina: Windermere, LA23 1LP. +44(15394) 39441. Website
- The Swan Hotel: Newby Bridge, LA12 8NB. +44(15395) 31681. Website