Workington – Our Lady and St Michael’s Church

 
Location Workington
Grid Ref NY 005282

 
Bank Road, Workington

 

Workington - Our Lady and St Michael's Church

 

The Roman Catholic Church dedicated to Our Lady and St Michael was built in 1876 from designs by E.W. Pugin. The style is Early English, and it may fairly be said to be one of the finest specimens of this style of architecture in the county, as it is unquestionably by far the finest in Workington. The Church incorporates medieval carvings and abibaster sculptures.
 
It replaced a chapel built in 1814, on land given by John Curwen of Workington Hall to the Irish immigrants who worked on his farms and in his collieries.
 
The outside stone is red Cheshire sandstone. Inside the pillars are of polished granite from Newry, County Down and the white stone is Darley Dale sandstone from Yorkshire. The High Altar and the statue of Our Lady and the Sacred Heart are in Caen stone. The figures from Jervaux Abbey in Yorkshire were mounted in the Lady Chapel in 1882.
 
The Organ was put in 1906 by Hill & Sons, thanks to half the cost being given by the Carnegie Foundation.
 
The Choir stalls were made by Robert Thompson of Kilburn (the Mouse man) and installed for the Golden Jubilee in 1926.

 

Workington - Our Lady and St Michael's Church
 

Workington - Our Lady and St Michael's Church

 

Related Links :

Go to Menu :