Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway :
The Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway, or “La’al Ratty” as it affectionately known, was opened in 1875 to bring ion ore from Eskdale to the Furness Railway at Ravenglass. The line was purchased by a preservation society and converted to a narrow gauge of 15 inches
The train journey travels through beautiful countryside from Ravenglass, calling at Muncaster Mill, Irton Road, The Green, and Beckfoot before finally reaching reaching Dalegarth station, near Boot in Eskdale. From Dalegarth you can walk to Eskdale Mill,Stanley Ghyll Force and St Catherine’s Church.
At Ravenglass is a railway museum with a wealth of relics, photographs, models and an audio-visual show.
The Station for this railway is beside Ravenglass railway station on the Cumbrian coast line.
The Railway publishes a booklet ‘Walks from Ratty’ by A Wainwright, famous for his pictorial guides to the Lakeland Fells. This describes ten walks that can be taken from various points on the Railway.
Meals are available at the station tea-rooms, and the nearby Ratty Arms public house. Tourist information is available at the station ticket office.
Related links :
Grid Ref : SD 085964 and NY 173007
Ravenglass, CA18 1SW. Tel 01229 717171.