Nether Wasdale – St Michael’s Church
Originally this little church was a chapel of ease for St Bees Priory, the present building dating from the 16th century.
The oak panelling in the sanctuary, with rich borders of cherubs, fruit and flowers, and the pulpit and lectern were salvaged from York Minster after a fire in the 19th century. The ceiling has fine plaster reliefs with cherubs’ faces, and remains of murals on the south walls. On the west wall is a moulded Royal coat of arms for George III. Gas lamps add to the warm relaxed atmosphere.
The two-light East window of ‘Resurrection Morning’ is by Shrigley and Hunt, and is a memorial to the men of the parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918.
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :