Muncaster – St Michael’s Church
Set in the grounds of Muncaster Castle, the church dates from the 12th century. In 1874 Anthony Salvin added the North transept, and made the tracery partition between the annex and the chancel.
The west windows are one of the few ‘Doom’ windows in the country, the upper section depicting Christ in Glory with his Saints, and the lower showing the Archangel Michael with sword and banner standing between two groups rising from the dead – the ‘saved’ and the ‘lost’ at the Last Judgement.
One of the south windows is an ‘Angel’ window by Henry Holiday to the memory of Henry Caddy, and dated 1887.
The chancel side windows, also by Holiday, depict the four Archangels, Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :