Millom – Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity church, beside Millom Castle, is a late Norman church of red sandstone. A south aisle was added in the early 13th century, and this was enlarged in the 14th century. Much of the detail of the church is due to the Victorian restoration. The church has a Grade 1 listing.
There are several interesting stained glass windows in the church, including the so-called ‘fish window’, the Annunciation, by William Wailes, in the west wall of the Huddleston chapel. So called, because it resembles the bladder of a fish, there are similar windows in Dunblane Cathedral and at Brigham.
Also in the Huddleston chapel is a three light window of Gabriel, Michael and Raphael by Hugh Arnold, as a memorial to John and Jane Harker of Salthouse Farm.
Within the churchyard are several listed monuments, including the beautiful old sundial standing a few yards from the South wall of the church. It probably has some connection with the sandstone altar tomb to Sir John Huddleston, and shows four shields, two of which bear the Huddleston arms.
The stone which lies near to the North door of the church may be the base of an ancient market cross, erected no doubt when Henry II, in 1251, gave a charter to Sir John Huddleston to hold a market in Millom every wednesday.
In the Huddleston chapel are two tombs. The alabaster monument, 1494, commemorates Richard Huddleston, and on it are his effigy, and that of his wife Lady Mabel Dacre.
A booklet is available in the church describing the history of the church.
Go to Menu :