Maryport Maritime Museum
Location : Maryport
Maryport Maritime Museum will be closing its doors at 3.00pm on Wed 31st August 2022 – to reopen in Christ Church sometime in 2024.
In the interim we hope to reopen temporarily in Senhouse Street, but this has yet to be verified.
A new William Mitchell painting has been added to the collection, Old Maryport in the year 1834 looking over to the Graving Bank to the Drawbridge Moat Hill.
The Maryport Maritime Museum contains an interesting look into Maryport‘s proud maritime heritage. There are a variety of exhibits including paintings, models, and many interesting objects from a whales tooth to telescopes and tools. There are displays about Fletcher Christian, of the mutiny on the Bounty fame, and Thomas Ismay owner of the Titanic.
The building, formerly the Queens Head Public House, is built on one of the first plots of land to be developed by Humphrey Senhouse II when the town was built.
Opposite the Maritime Museum is a sculpture by Colin Telfer, whose workshop is in Maryport, commemorating the town’s history of mining.
2022 Opening Times:
Closes on 31st August 2022 until 2024 when it will reopen in a new location
Related Links :
- Museum website
- Facebook – more photos of the museum
- Facebook – From Maryport To Titanic Exhibition 2012
1 Senhouse Street, CA15 6AB. Tel: 01900 813738.
Email : [email protected]
Grid Ref : NY 035366