Grid Ref : SD 160787
The village of Haverigg lies on the Duddon Estuary a short distance from the town of Millom. It is a small seaside fishing village tucked away on the north-west coast of England, a haven for breeding terns and a multitude of wading birds.
Haverigg has safe beaches and children’s adventure play features, making it a good place to visit for families with children.
Haverigg has an extensive, quiet Blue Flag beach, a restored lighthouse, and is close to the Hodbarrow RSPB nature reserve on the edge of Hodbarrow Lagoon.
The name Haverigg derives from the old Norse language and can be translated as ‘the hill where oats are grown’.
The West coast attractions, the Lakes, the Lake District and the 1000ft high fell of Black Combe, are all easily reached from this relaxing resort.
The village offers a wide range of accommodation, along with a range of cafes and pubs.
In 2003, the 7 tonne sculpture ‘Escape to Light’ by the world famous sculptress Josefina de Vasconcellos was installed near to the Haverigg Inshore Rescue station. It is dedicated to all Inshore Rescue Teams in the UK. The statue was originally sited at Rydal Hall Gardens.
RAF Millom at Haverigg began mountain rescues in 1941, and along with RAF Llandwrog in Wales was the co-birthplace of RAF Mountain Rescue Services. The last operational flight was in 1953, after which the site and buildings had a variety of uses. The Millom RAF Museum which was on the Bankhead Estate, near the prison, closed on 1st Sep 2010.
Some of those who gave their lives at RAF Millom, are buried in the graveyard of St Luke’s Church.Haverigg prison holds 632 Category C male prisoners, and is on the site of an old RAF training centre, which was converted to a prison in 1967.