Grid Ref NY 030088
The little church at Haile, with no dedication, has Georgian plain arched windows, but the walls are medieval. The West porch was added by Ferguson in 1882. A South-East quoin in the nave is part of a Saxon cross-shaft, with scrolls. Outside against the West wall is a monument to John Ponsonby (1670).
There are three stained glass windows - the East window of the Crucifixion is by Wailes and Strang. A single window on the South side of the nave depicts an Act of Charity by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, and a single window on the North side of the nave depicts St George and the Dragon, by Powell of Whitefriars.
|St George and the Dragon
Memorial window to John Ponsonby
by Powell of Whitefriars.
|Monument to John Ponsonby (1670) on
the west outside wall. The inscription
Learn Reader Under This Stone
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :