Gilcrux – St Mary’s Church
St Mary’s Church, Gilcrux, dates to around 1100 and is believed to be Norman, although there are aspects of Anglo Saxon architecture that suggest it might be slightly earlier. Christian worship at this site predates the Church, evidenced by an ancient cross dating to the first millenium.
A holy place of great serenity, beautiful St Mary’s Church is, and has been for nearly 1,000 years, the spiritual and geographical heart of Gilcrux village. Many of the family and ancestors of Gilcrux residents are buried in the graveyard.
It has also been suggested that the mound that the church is built on may have been a spiritual place of worship in pre-Christian times.
St Mary’s is currently being considered for closure and sale, causing a great deal of distress and anger in Gilcrux village.
It is hoped that the Church of England will hold good to their promise to allow the residents of Gilcrux time to arrange funds to ensure the preservation of their church.
At a meeting in Gilcrux Village Hall on September 6th 2018 it was promised by the Vicar of Gilcrux, the Rev. Tim Herbert, and Archdeacon Richard Pratt that the deadline for the decision on closure would be January 2019.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :