Calder Abbey Ruins and Mansion
Location : Calder Bridge
Grid Ref : NY 051064.
Calder Abbey was founded in 1134 by Ranulph de Meschines, Lord of Copeland, for a colony of monks from Furness Abbey, originally as a Benedictine monastery. The Abbey has been described as one of the most enchanting in the British Isles.
After the Dissolution in 1536, when Henry VIII’s commissioners began their work of closing the monasteries, the monastery buildings slowly became the ruin it is today.
The privately owned abbey ruins are not normally open to the public, and views from the nearby road or river path are limited. However it is hoped that the ruins will soon be available to visit.
The grade 1 listed Calder Abbey Mansion is attached to the abbey ruins, and built on part of the original abbey site. The house is not open to the public, and is privately owned. However it may be possible for organised groups of people to visit the abbey mansion. Contact the estate manager for more information. There is no telephone or internet contact – so please write to
Mr Groves, Estate Manager, Calder Abbey, Calderbridge, Seascale CA20 1DZ.
Below are a few pictures of the mansion – taken on the 2010 Heritage Open Day – showing the spectacular features and fittings in the Arts and Crafts style. It is hoped to add more information and history of the mansion soon.
The ruins stand in the grounds of the mansion, but may be seen from a nearby road.
There is pleasant short walk along a public footpath by the River Calder, starting beside the churchyard at Calder Bridge, and which stops by the house.
Related Links :
- More photos on facebook VisitCumbria.
- Images of England – Calder Abbey ruins
- Images of England – Calder Abbey mansion
- Images of England – Calder Abbey gatehouse
- Images of England – Calder Abbey monks’ oven
- Images of England – Calder Abbey fish box
- Wikipedia – Calder Abbey
- History of Calder Abbey.