Beckermet – old St Bridget’s Church
The old Church of St Bridget in Beckermet, which is down a narrow lane, a mile or so from the village, was probably built on the site of a 7th Century monastery. The Church is only used for services three times a year, and a new much bigger Church of St John is now in the village.
On the South side of the Church are two interesting pre-Norman cross shafts. One has quite unrecognisable details and like the Gosforth Cross, is round below and square above. Next to it is the other very similar Cross shaft which has scrollwork and runic inscriptions, and the date 1103. Calder Abbey appropriated the Church in 1160. Then, at the dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th Century, the Church was granted to the Le Fleming family , who had been benefactors to the Abbey in the 12th Century.
The interior is very plain, with just a font, pews, a pulpit, a lecturn and an ancient sandstone alter of unknown age. There are boards bearing the Articles of Faith – the Lord’s Prayer, the Creed and the Ten Commandments. The windows are plain.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :