Aspatria – St Kentigerns’ Church
The church of St Kentigern stands on the site of a Norman church, built between 1130 and 1150, and possibly on the site of an earlier church. During rebuilding in the 1840′s traces of Saxon masonry were found.
The church contains a number of ancient relics, including some Anglo-Danish fragments, and a copy of the Gosforth Cross.
Among the fragments is a five foot length of an Anglo-Danish cross-shaft with interlace, wild and irregular. There is an uncommonly elaborate hogback coffin.
There are a large number of fine stained glass windows, including many by Powell of Whitefriars. The East window, by Powells, is dedicated to Sir Wilfred Lawson of Isel Hall, twice MP for Cumberland. The seven Powell windows in the North Aisle were given by the seven children of Lady Lawson, wife of Sir Wilfred Lawson.
Go to Menu :