Arlecdon and Rowrah
Grid Ref : NY 005185
Arlecdon village developed in the 19th Century, as the industrial revolution demanded more and more coal, limestone and high grade iron ore. Arlecdon and the villages around it – Cleator Moor, Frizington and Keekle – were a maze of railways, quarries and mines which produced the materials for iron works in Cleator Moor and Workington.
Arlecdon sits on the edge of the Lake District, itself edged by both fields and fells. Nearby is Ennerdale Water.
Rowrah Stadium is a karting track situated in the old Kelton Head limestone quarry. The track measures 1,040 metres long and it is used for several major UK karting championships.
St Michael’s Church, a Grade II listed building, stands on the site of an ancient church, with the earliest records from during the reign of King Henry III (1216-72). In 1241 it was given to Calder Abbey by the then Lord of the Manor, Sir John Le Fleming. The church that you see today is the result of major restoration work undertaken in 1903-05, totally transforming the ancient building.
The Whitehaven to Ennerdale Cyclepath is a 10 mile surfaced cycling route from Whitehaven on the west coast, passing through Cleator Moor, then to Sheriff’s Gate, near Rowrah. From here it is only a short distance along quiet roads toEnnerdale Bridge, Ennerdale Lake, and Ennerdale Forest.
The cycleway follows the route of the old Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont and Rowrah and Kelton Fell Railways, which were built in the 1850’s to carry the coal and iron ore from the mines and quarries that were once very active in this area.
By the early 1900’s much of the ore had been worked out, and the coal was becoming too expensive to mine. The Rowrah and Kelton Fell line closed in 1933. The Rowrah to Whitehaven section struggled on for a few more years before finally closing in 1978.
Related Links :