Grid Ref : NY 174508
Abbeytown stands on the Solway plain midway between Wigton and Silloth. Looking south there are views of distant lakeland fells and Skiddaw, looking north there are views of the Solway and Scottish hills.
Centuries ago it was one of the most important places in the North because of Holme Cultram Abbey, founded in 1150 by Cistercians from Melrose when this part of Cumbria was in Scotland. During construction it was taken into England by Henry II. When the Abbey was dissolved in 1538 some of the remaining building became the parish church of St Mary. Much of the stone from the ruins of the Abbey was used to construct the older buildings in the village.
In the past there were five public houses and many shops. Also there were two stations – one for the Carlisle to Silloth line (1856) and another for the Aspatria to Annan line (1870), but these lines have been dismantled.
Wikipedia – Abbeytown