Staveley – St James’ Church

Location Kendal
Grid Ref SD 470985
 

Staveley - St James' Church.
 
St James’ Church was built in 1864-5 by J.S. Crowther. The greatest possession of the Church must be the East window, designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones and made by William Morris & Co.
 

It shows the Crucifixion, and the Ascension, with angels grouped on a starry background, and is one of the most magnificent Morris & Co windows imaginable, and goes unnoticed by most guide books.
 
Only the tower of an earlier 14th Century Church, St Margaret’s, remains, a magnificent monument to its builders, and now becoming derelict.

 

Staveley - St James' Church. Pic F48P8.
 

Staveley - St James' Church. Staveley - St James' Church. Staveley - St James' Church.

Some of the windows at Staveley. Photos by P. Neil Ralley – www.stainedglassphotography.com
 

Go to Menu :

stats