Kendal – Yard 39 – Tanners Yard
Location : Kendal
Grid Ref SD 515924
Tanners Yard runs from Highgate right the way down to the riverside at the bottom of Lowther Street. This is now the only yard to run from the main street to the river that remains in the whole of Kendal. For a number of years this lane was known as Black Lowther Street. The yard is very narrow, and is not completely lined with cottages, houses and workshops.
Most of these buildings were demolished in the 1960’s clearances. The reason for it being called Tanners Yard isn’t at first glance as obvious as one may think. The name probably relates to a firm of tanners and curriers, E.W. Thompsons, who worked from 19 Lowther Street, property that abutted onto the yard. On a map of 1853, the yard is named as Rhodes Yard, Rhodes being a Linen Draper who owned a shop, warehouse and cottages in the yard.
There were also other businesses taking place in the yard; coopers, painters and glaziers and joiners’ .all had workshops down this narrow alleyway. Towards the bottom of the yard, is the rear entrance to Gawith, Hoggarth Co. Ltd – the famous Kendal snuff manufacturers. The yard underwent some restoration in 1990, and has been well preserved.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :