Kendal – Bank of Westmorland
64 Highgate, LA9 4TF, Tel 0845 740 4404
Founded on wealth generated by Kendal’s textile trade, the Bank of Westmorland opened in 1833 and moved to this site in 1835. Designed by Kendal’s leading architect, George Webster, the masonry was to be of Kendal Fell limestone, “finished in the finest manner possible”.
The bank occupied the ground floor, the manager and his family living above. The lion and its pedestal, constructed in London in artificial stone, were completed in 1840.
After sixty years the Bank of Westmorland was absorbed by the london and Midland Bank, then in 1992 by HSBC. it is the oldest purpose-built branch in the HSBC network in England and Wales.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :