Kendal Wainwrights Yard
Location : Kendal
Grid Ref SD 514927
Wainwrights Yard is a new mixed use development, started in 2004, with a mixture of new retail units, a Booths Supermarket, the offices of the Westmorland Gazette, and a new public square.
The walkway which ran alongside the old Westmorland Gazette offices, formerly Yard 28, has been re-named Wainwright’s Yard, in memory of the former Kendal borough treasurer Alfred Wainwright (1907-1991) who achieved worldwide fame for his walking books.
Within the new public sqare are a number of slate slabs with reproductions on them of pages from Wainwights ‘Pictorial Guides to the Lakeland Fells’. Click on each picture for a larger version.
Access to Wainwright’s Yard is from the newly refurbished Stricklandgate
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :