Kendal – Town Hall
On this site once stood White Hall, believed to have been an exchange hall for Kendal’s cloth trade with Virginia. It was replaced in 1825 by a new White Hall, designed by Kendal architect Francis Webster and incorporating a billiards room, newsroom, lecture hall and ballroom.
Converted to the Town Hall in 1859 this forms the southern part of the present building. Extensions were commenced in 1893, when Alderman William Bindloss and Mrs Bindloss made a very generous contribution towards the cost of the alterations and improvements.
A new tower was added for the clock, and eleven bells which were rung for the first time on the occasion of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :