Kendal – Shearman House
Allhallows Lane, LA9 4JH. Tel 01539 815710
Opened in 1864, Shearman House was erected by local philanthropists as a public wash-house and baths. Designed by Miles Thompson, the wash-house had facilities for 22 washerwomen and included clothes-horses on rail tracks and two pioneer spin-dryers. It was intended to alleviate the discomforts of washday for working families living in damp and ill-ventilated cottages, There were eight large porcelain baths, the lowest charge for a warm bath being two young women together at threepence each.
The chimney is 70 feet (21.3m) high.
Aftr being the baths, it became council offices, and is now a Wetherspoon’s public house – allegedly the first non smoking pub in England.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :