Kendal – Shakespeare Centre
Location : Kendal
Grid Ref SD 514924
Shakespeare Yard, Highgate, LA9 4HE. Tel 01539 721176
The Shakespeare Theatre was built in 1829 and was Kendal’s first purpose built theatre. It was designed by John Richardson, a local architect. Edmund Kean, a nationally famous actor played at the theatre in 1832.
Both poverty in Kendal, and pressure from the Quakers, Prebyterians and Temperance groups, forced the theatre to close five years after opening. It continued in use as a ballroom, before being converted to the New Life Community Church in 1994.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :