Kendal – The old Public Houses
Shown below are some of the building in Kendal that used to be public houses, but no longer are. See the main Kendal page for the remaining pubs that have a long history.
The Halifax bank used to be the Angel Inn, or the Angel Grill. The box structure on the roof used to be pigeon cote, and was then turned into a cock pit (allegedly).
The pharmacy, at the bottom of Captain French Lane, used to be the Bear and Ragged Staff inn. The cellar doors can still be seen underneath the left hand window.
The market place café, used to be the Football Inn, one of a number of inns within a relatively small area.
Grandy Nook used to be the Woolpack Inn. Shown on maps dating from 1614, the building was known as Grandy Nook Hall prior to it’s rebuilding in 1669, from which date it was known as Sandes Hall. It was the town house of Thomas and Katherine Sandes (of Sandes Hospital in the centre of town)
Oddfellows Hall has led a varied life. The Oddfellows Society used to meet here – a ‘poor man’s Freemasons’ was how the Oddfellows used to be described. The hall would have been used as an educational establishment and a social gathering place for the lower classes. The hall was rebuilt in 1833 from the old Unicorn Inn. When the rebuilding was complete, the ground floor was let as the Nelson Tavern.
The Old Shambles Lane ends at the Western side with the huge building that was once the Butchers Arms, no doubt serving the countless butchers that were housed in this street.
Sleddall Hall was probably built in 1600, with major rebuilding taking place when Wildman Street was widened. The hall was built on a plot of land called the Croft, and was a house and then an inn, taking on various names over the years: The Pack Horse Inn, The Weavers Arms and the Farmers Arms. The hall is said to possess two priest holes. One in the right hand gable end wall, and one in the chimney.
Middletons used to be the Slip Inn. The yard down the side of the current shop used to house a number of butchers, all with a reputation of leaving animal entrails and effluent in the yard.
The building that now houses Pronta Print was built in the early to mid 17th century, and refronted in the 1800’s. It was the Greyhound Frigate Inn until 1856, and was then renamed the Ship.
The old Roebuck Inn, sandwiched between Millets and the Fleece Inn on Highgate. This building was only one of Kendal’s inns to carry the name Roebuck.
The old Golden Lion Inn – situated at the back of the Market place, this building was until recently the Kentdale Rambler outdoor accessories shop. It has now been refurbished as a coffee shop.
The old Wagon and Horses inn – now known as Farrers’s coffee house, in the middle of town. This building was built around 1688 (according to a dated spice rack), and was originally a house occupied by George and Mary Wilson. Farrer’s and the two buildings to the left were re-fronted by Kendal architect George Webster in around 1822.
Words and photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :