Kendal – National School
Grid Ref SD 513925
The school was designed by George Webster ans was built and run by public subscription. It opened to boys in 1819 for their “education in Religious Knowledge and useful learning”. it was the first public day school in Kendal, incorporated with the National Society for promoting “the education of the poor in the principles of the Established Church”.
Matthew Pyper of Whitehaven endowed the school with £2000. He died in 1821 and, at his wish, was interred in a vault near the centre of the school building.
A Girls’ School opened in 1824 for instruction in reading, writing and the common rules of arithmetic, singing, knitting and sewing. An Infants’ School was opened in 1874.
The Schools evolved, merged and eventually became the Central School. From 1974 the buildings were used as an annexe to Vicarage Park School. In 1985 they were closed and a housing complex was built on the site. An original memorial school plaque still exists there.
The school (now flats) is situated about half way up Beast Banks, almost opposite number 21 Beast Banks (the house with the statue of Miles Thompson on the roof).
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :