Kendal Castle :

Kendal

South Cumbria Accommodation
 

 

Kendal Castle, probably late 12th Century, is now a ruin, but worth exploring. From here you can get brilliant views over the town. At Kendal Museum is an exhibition telling the story of the Castle, its people , and the life of the town. There are displays showing medieval objects, reconstructions of the Castle, computer displays and there are various activities such as coin rubbing.

 

The Castle was built in the early 1200’s as the home of the barons of Kendal. They had a big influence on the development of Kendal. The Parr family is the best known of the baronial families, the most famous member being Katherine Parr, the sixth and last Queen of Henry VIII.

 

 

During the Tudor period, the Castle became a ruin, and has remained so ever since. Most of the Castle walls survive along with one of the towers. The manor hall was the most important building in the Castle, and parts of it remain to a significant height. Below are the vaults, two of which stand complete.

 

In 1897 Kendal Corporation bought Castle Hill for ‘public enjoyment’, to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. 100 years later, a major project has been carried out involving repairs to the masonry, landscaping, and new information displays on the site and at the Museum.

 


 

Castle Hill is a lovely place to walk and picnic, with views in all directions. The lower slopes have wooded walks. There are sculpture seats specially commissioned for the site, by the artist Alain Ayers.

 

Menu :

Grid Ref : SD 521923

 
stats