Conishead Priory and Gardens
Location : Ulverston
Grid Ref : SD 305758
Manjushri Centre, Conishead Priory, Ulverston. Tel 01229 584029.
The Manjushri Kadampa Meditation Centre is an international Buddhist College and the Mother Centre of Kadampa Buddhism, providing a peaceful and inspiring environment in which people can learn about Buddhism and meditation. Originally founded in 1160 as a hospital for the poor. The present building has been a private house, a hydropathic hotel, military hospital, miners convalescent home and is now a large residential Buddhist Centre with a unique Temple.
Dominated by two 100 foot octagonal towers, the present house is an excellent example of Victorian Gothic architecture. Special features include decorative ceilings, a valted great hall with fine stained glass and a 177 feet long cloister corridor. The Oak Room contains impressive carved woodwork from the early 17th Century.
This historic treasure has been rescued from collapse by the residential community and is still under careful restoration.
“a very important Gothic revival house…it has few peers in the North West…” – English Heritage
“an amazing house – one of the most spectacular in Cumbria” – Hunter Davies
The large Victorian Gothic country house is surrounded by gardens and woodland just a five minute walk from the shores of Morecambe Bay.
Here you can –
- discover the Priory’s history with a house tour and audio visual show;
- explore the 50 acres of woodland which contain many mature specimen trees;
- admire the intricate decorations and stonework of the unique Buddhist Temple;
- browse in the gift shop;
- relax with a peaceful stroll along woodland walks to Morecambe Bay;
- enjoy afternoon tea with delicious cakes in the conservatory cafe.