Broughton-in-Furness Parish Church – St Mary Magdalene
Church St, Broughton-in-Furness.
The oldest building in Broughton-in-Furness is thought to be St Mary’s Church, first built in Saxon times. The Church has been rebuilt several times, with much expansion taking place in the 18th Century, due to the prosperity of the wool trade in Broughton. A North aisle was added in 1738, a South aisle in 1768 and the tower added in 1782.
The floor was paved replacing the rushes, wall murals were painted and a gallery erected. The current Church is a major restoration/expansion by Paley and Austin of 1873.
Inside, the Church is almost entirely Victorian. The organ, installed in 1887, occupies the space of the old sanctuary.
There are many stained glass windows, mostly by Charles Kempe. The West windows show Mary Magdalene and Christ in the garden In the South Aisle is a window showing the figure of ‘Spes’ (Hope) designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones. This was originally made in the Morris & Co workshops for Christ Church, Oxford, in 1870. Several copies were made and one was installed at the Home of the Good Samaritan in Redcar. When the Home was demolished, the window was aquired and installed at Broughton in 1948.
Also of interest in the Church is one of the original Church bells, probably 15th Century, the Church chest carved from a solid trunk of oak, the wheeled bier of the 19th Century, a Bishop’s Bible of 1595 and a 15th Century font. Outside on the tower, below the clock, are the words ‘Watch for ye know not the hour’.
Go to Menu :