Arnside Station and Viaduct
Location : Arnside
Ordnance Survey – SD 461788
The line opened was opened 1857 by the Ulverston and Lancaster Railway, which was taken over by the Furness Railway 26 May 1862. The Furness Railway’s Hincaster Branch ran from 26 June 1876, connecting to the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway at Hincaster, which is now part of the West Coast Main Line (WCML). Passenger services ended on the branch on 4 May 1942 and the lines were removed in 1966.
Just north of the station is a viaduct crossing the River Kent estuary. The railway Line opened in 1857, and the viaduct was rebuilt in 1915. There are a total of 50 piers, and the viaduct is 522 yards long.
Go to Menu :