Eamont Bridge – Yanwath Hall
Yanwath Hall, on the southern side of the River Eamont, is a splendidly preserved low 14th Century pele tower and a 15th Century hall, reputed to be the finest manorial hall in England. It has changed little since the 16th Century. The tower has a tunnel-vaulted ground floor, and at the top battlements stepped up at the corners. The first floor has Elizabethan five-light mullioned and transomed windows. The hall is distinguished by a bay window with a frontage of three lights.
In the early part of the 14th Century, Yanwath was owned by John de Sutton. Towards the end of the Century it was aquired by the Threlkeld family, who rebuilt parts and added the bay window. In 1671 the property passed to the Lowthers and from that time onwards has been used as a farm.
The house which forms three sides of a courtyard, is not open to the public. There are similar partly-fortified houses at Blencow and Catterlen, north of Penrith, and Kentmere near Kendal.
It was the birthplace of William Wordsworth‘s friend the Quaker Thomas Wilkinson (1751-1836), who walked from Stainmore to London to attend a Quaker meeting. It is to him that Wordsworth addressed ‘To the Spade of a Friend’.
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :