Location : Shap – Grid Ref : NY 540113
In the cult 1987 film ‘Withnail and I’ ‘Crow Cragg’, where Withnail and Marwood end up “on holiday by mistake”, is Sleddale Hall, a derelict cottage, dating from at least 1802, alongside Wet Sleddale Reservoir, just west from the A6, near Shap.
“London 1969 – two ‘resting’ (unemployed and unemployable) actors, Withnail and Marwood, fed up with damp, cold, piles of washing-up, mad drug dealers and psychotic Irishmen, decide to leave their squalid Camden flat for an idyllic holiday in the countryside, courtesy of Withnail’s uncle Monty’s country cottage. But when they get there, it rains non-stop, there’s no food, and their basic survival skills turn out to be somewhat limited. Matters are not helped by the arrival of Uncle Monty, who shows an uncomfortably keen interest in Marwood.” Plot summary from IMDb.
Related Links :
- Wikipedia – Sleddale Hall
- Wikipedia – ‘Withnail and I’
- IMDb – ‘Withnail and I’
- BBC Cumbria – photos of Sleddale Hall
- BBC Cumbria – ‘Withnail and I’
- Filming Locations for ‘Withnail and I’
- ‘Withnail and I’ DVD
- A Walk to Sleddale Hall and around Wet Sleddale
- withnail_eye’s photos – lots of photos