Pooley Bridge can be found by the River Eamont at the northern end of Lake Ullswater. Today it is a busy place catering mainly for the tourist trade.
The name Pooley Bridge derives from a large pool in the River Eamont,”The Hill by the Pool”. The ‘Bridge’ part of the name was added in 1800.
The church of St. Paul’s can be found in the centre of the village and dates from around 1868. Opposite the church is a row of very old houses, one of which was a blacksmith’s.
To the north of the river is a hill, Dunmallet, on which is an iron age fort. Prehistoric cairns dot the landscape surrounding Ullswater.
It was once a busy market town, before nearby Penrith took precedence in the 19th century, with fish being the mainstay of Pooley Bridge’s market produce.
Not far from Pooley Bridge is Maiden Castle, NY 452243, a circular “fort”, built on the side of a hill, with two rampart walls and a very narrow ditch between. Once a defended settlement, it was probably home to a family group in the first millennium BC.
The bridge at Pooley Bridge was destroyed in the winter 2015 floods, and there is now a temporary metal bridge.
Grid Ref : NY 472244