Martindale – St Peter’s Church
The new Church in Martindale was built in 1880, replacing the old church of St Martin, in the early English style of architecture, and has a nave and chancel, with vestry, bell turrett, and south western porch.
Apart from the East window, all the stained glass dates from 1975, and was made by Jane Gray, A.R.C.A. The windows are modern – they are designed to appeal to those who will no longer look at bearded saints or traditional angels. Descriptions of each window appear beside them.
Of special note is the window dedicated to St Nicholas, patron saint of sailors. This is in memory of Commander W.H. Parkin, and the men of HMS Glorious, which sank under enemy action off the Norwegian coast in 1940. It shows an airman’s view of the aircraft carrier plowing through the waves, with the stars of heaven above. At the top is the phoenix bird which renews itself perpetually in the flames.
The Church was built by the generosity of Anthony Parkin of Sharrow Bay, and W.H. Parkin of Ravencragg.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :