Martindale – St Martin’s Church
Location Pooley Bridge
Grid Ref NY 434184
The old Church of St Martin, Martindale, has existed since at least 1220. It is probable that the present building was erected at the end of the 16th Century. There have been successive restorations to the present building, the last major restoration being in 1882 when the roof was replaced. Violent storms destroyed the roof on the day that the new Church of St Peter was consecrated.
Objects of interest include the reading desk of 1634, the font which was almost certainly a Roman alter, and the Church bell which is some 500 years old.
In the Church yard is a yew tree which is estimated to be about 1300 years old.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :