Keld Chapel at Shap
Location : Shap - Grid Ref : NY 554145
The medieval Keld Chapel, near Shap, Cumbria, is owned by the National Trust, and is one of their more remote religious sites.
It is probable that Keld was a village in Roman times. What is now known generally as the ‘Chapel at Keld’ is believed initially to have been a ‘chantry’ and a part of Shap Abbey. This was a Premonstratensian foundation, which originated at Preston Patrick in about 1122, during the reign of Henry II. It appears to have moved to Shap in about 1125.
The chapel appears to date back to the 15th century. About 1650 it was occupied as a dwelling house.
In 1918 the building was presented by Sir Samuel H. Scott to the National Trust for places of Historic Interest.
Access is at all times, with the key in the village – see the notice on the chapel door.