Greystoke, Penrith, Cumbria. CA11 2QA.
The history of Greystoke Castle begins in the 12th Centrury when Ivo, grandson of local Saxon chieftain Llyulph, created the first stone structure on the site of the present castle in 1129. This building grew to become one of the border chain of fortifications, creating the huge Pele Tower, which in 1338 William de Greystoke obtained Royal Licence to castellate.
In the mid 1500’s, Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk and Earl Marshall of England acquired the castle by marriage to the widow of Lord Dacre from Naworth Castle near Brampton; as both catholics and Royalists the Howards gained the attention of Oliver Cromwell who with his army of the North visited the area and laid waste to the castle.
After lying derelict for the better part of a generation, the castle was re-built to a design by Anthony Salvin between 1838 and 1848, and the Estates were developed by Charles Howard, the 10th Duke, into a strikingly modern farm.
In 1868 tragedy struck and the house caught fire and many treasures and works of art were lost.
However, the castle was rebuilt, again by Salvin, this time using only materials and craftsmen from the estate.
The Great Hall is furnished with a remarkable Minstrels’ Gallery and a magnificent fireplace.
During the second world war the castle and estate were requisitioned by the army as a tank drivers’ training area and it was not until 1950 that Stafford Howard inherited the estate. He began further period of restoration which continues today with his son, Neville.
The castle is not open to the public, but is now a venue for corporate hospitality, outdoor management training, and is licensed for civil weddings. The Castle stands in about 6000 acres, which is said to be the largest enclosure in England without a road or right-of-way running through it.
To the East of the village of Greystoke are three well known folly farmholds built about 1789 by Charles Howard (the 11th Duke of Norfolk) (1746-1815) of Greystoke Castle.
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham.
Related Links :
Go to Menu :