Grid Ref : NY 552368
The village of Great Salkeld lies deep in the Eden Valley, far from the busy tourist centres and traffic congestion of the nearby Lake District. it has a population of some 400 people and is centered round the Primary School, Pub and Norman Church.
The village’s long history is found not only in the church but also by the remains of the middle-age Aikton Castle, and records of several droving routes. The pub ‘The Highland Drove’ was once the stopping place for the drovers, whose animals were watered at the Dub just outside the village, and now home to rare Great Crested Newts.
The parish, which has long been celebrated for its rural beauties and the extensive and diversified views which it commands, is bounded on the south by Eden Hall, on the north and west by Lazonby, and on the east by the river Eden; and extends about 3½ miles from east to west, and three miles from north to south.
There has probably been a Church here since 880 AD, when the body of St Cuthbert was rested here after being brought from Holy Island. Rebuilding of St Cuthbert’s Church took place in 1080, and the Pele Tower was added in 1380. This is one of three churches in Cumbria with a defensive pele tower (the others are at Newton Arlosh and Burgh-by-Sands).