Brougham – St Wilfrid’s Church
This chapel was rebuilt on the site of an earlier Church By Lady Anne Clifford, when she inherited the Brougham Estate. It is a simple low building, with buttresses, a nave and a chancel with a bell-cote. The inside was refurbished by the Brougham family of Brougham Hall. in the early 19th Century.
St Wilfrid’s real treasure lies in its fantastic medieval woodwork. There are some remarkable carvings put there from Continental sources by Lord Brougham in the 1840’s. The stalls are French, and date from the 15th Century. They have carved canopies, and Latin texts depicted in blue and gold. The carved medieval panels on the pulpit depict the Virgin on a crescent moon.
The east window has early 14th Century stained glass, and there are mock Norman arches over the other windows.
Sir John Betjeman, in his books on English parish churches, devotes more space to this little chapel than to any other northern country church.
Go to Menu :