Barton – St Michael’s Church
The name Barton refers to buildings belonging to a farm. There never was a village here. The Church occupies a site on a mound with a circular churchyard that may have prehistoric origin. St. Michael was a traditional dedication when Christianity supplanted pagan gods.
The churchyard is entered through an imposing Lych gate, built as a memorial to those lost in the two world wars. The nave, tower and chancel are built in the Norman style. The outstanding feature is the double rounded chancel arch of the central tower, which gives a reminder of the skills of the early builders. There is stained glass worth looking at.
There are several memorials to relatives of William Wordsworth. The poet’s grandfather, Richard, who lived at nearby Sockbridge Hall died in 1760, and is buried in the chancel. There are memorials to John Wordsworth, the poets’s cousin, his first wife Anne, from Whitehaven, and his second wife Elizabeth. In the chancel is a memorial to Anne Myers, William’s aunt, who married the curate of Barton. There are several stained glass windows, the West window being by Charles Kempe.
A church leaflet is available.
Photos by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :