Map of Cumbria and the Lake District
The green areas represent the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Parks. A small part of the Yorkshire Dales National park is now in Cumbria – Dentdale and Garsdale, and the towns/villages – Sedbergh, Dent and Garsdale.
The counties surrounding Cumbria are shown in the map below.
Ordnance Survey Maps for Cumbria and the Lake District :
Grid references are used for the locations of many places other than within towns. Each grid reference consists of a two letter code representing a 100 km square area, and two sets of 3 figure numbers. The first 3 figures relate to numbers across the top and bottom of the map, and the second set to numbers down the sides, which show one kilometre squares. The three figure numbers give a position to an accuracy of one tenth of a kilometre.
The Ordnance Survey Landranger series of 1:50000 scale (approx one inch to the mile) maps (purple) cover the whole country, and the following cover the county of Cumbria.
- 85 – Carlisle and The Solway Firth
- 86 – Haltwhistle and Brampton, Bewcastle and Alston
- 87 – >Hexham, Haltwhistle and surrounding area
- 89 – West Cumbria
- 90 – Penrith, Keswick and Ambleside area
- 91 – Appleby-in-Westmorland area
- 96 – Barrow-in-Furness and South Lakeland area
- 97 – Kendal to Morecambe
- 98 – Wensleydale and Upper Wharfedale
- 79 – Hawick and Eskdale
- 80 – Cheviot Hills & Kielder Forest
The Touring Map and Guide no 3 covers the Lake District at a scale of one inch to the mile, and also contains much useful tourist information, including a Wordsworth trail.
- OL4 – The English Lakes North Western area, Keswick, Cockermouth and Wigton
- OL5 – The English Lakes North Eastern area, Penrith, Patterdale and Caldbeck
- OL6 – The English Lakes South Western area, Coniston, Ulverston and Barrow
- OL7 – The English Lakes South Eastern area, Windermere, Kendal and Silverdale
- OL31 – North Pennines, Teasdale and Weardale
- OL19 – The Howgill Fells and Upper Eden Valley
- OL2 – The Yorkshire Dales Southern and Western area
- OL33 – St Bees Head to Keld – Coast to Coast Walk
- 303 – Whitehaven and Workington
- 314 – Solway Firth, Wigton and Silloth
- 315 – Carlisle, Brampton, Longtown and Gretna Green
- 324 – Liddersdale & Kershope Forest for the very top of Cumbria – Bewcastle etc
There is a Historical Map and Guide at the scale of two and a half inches to the mile of ‘Hadrian’s Wall’.
Interactive Google map with Streetview
Related Links :
Go to Menu :