Orton – All Saints Church
All Saints Church in Orton is dominated by the 16th Century perpendicular tower, which has a fine peel of eight bells. It looks out over views of Orton Scar and the Howgills. The building dates from the 13th Century, but has had several restorations since, both inside and outside.
In the baptistry is an ancient parish chest bound with iron bands and having three locks. The red sandstone font has the date 1662.
In 1877 the Church was restored and enlarged by Paley and Austin.
The baptistry window (above) is the work of Beatrice Whistler, wife of the American painter James McNeill Whistler. It shows a young girl with Angels in a flower-studded meadow.
There are several other stained glass windows worth studying.
There is a display of the 17th Century bells in a frame, with informative notes about their history.
In 2007 the tower has been treated with a coat of lime to help pevent damage from damp.
Go to Menu :