Mallerstang – St Mary’s Church

 
Location Outhgill / Kirkby Stephen / Mallerstang
Grid Ref NY 782015

 

Mallerstang - St Mary's Church. Pic c0308-11-05-06.
 

Mallerstang valley is remote, lying between Mallerstang Edge/High Seat on the Eastern side and Wild Boar Fell on its western side. The River Eden, which has its source on Black Fell Moss above Hell Gill Beck, flows through the valley.
 
St Mary’s Church has probably been here since the 14th century, though the earliest records are from the 16th century. It is simple Dales church, nestling comfortably in its surroundings. The small low building has a bell turret containing a 13th century bell. Above the porch is a stone recording the restoration of the church by Lady Anne Clifford, who owned the nearby Pendragon Castle.

 

Mallerstang - St Mary's Church.

 

The church has changed little since Lady Anne’s days, and now has some attractive kneelers depicting local scenes – sheep farming, fox hunting and the Carlisle to Settle Railway, which runs nearby.
 
Many of the workmen who built the Mallerstang section of the Settle-Carlisle railway (and their families who accompanied them), did not survive the hostile climate and insanitary work camps at Aisgill Huts and Birkett Huts. Twenty five men women and children are buried in unmarked graves in the churchyard. On the left as you go through the gate, there a memorial to them, dedicated in May 1998.

 

Mallerstang - St Mary's Church. Pic c0311-11-05-06.

 

1870-1875.
In memory of
those men and their families
who died during the construction
of the Settle-Carlisle Railway
and are buried in the Churchyard.
Erected in 1997 by Public Subscription

 

Stained glass windows have been inserted, with the East window depicting the Virgin Mary and Child, surrounded by northern saints including Caedmon, the Monk of Whitby.

 

Go to Menu :

stats