Grid Ref : NY 621211
The manor of Meaburn is divided into two separate villages – King’s Meaburn and Maulds Meaburn. It was one of the properties of Hugh de Morville, who took a leading part in the murder of Thomas à Becket. For this he forfeited some of his land, and as a result, the northern part of the manor reverted to the Crown, and the remainder was granted to Hugh’s sister, Maud.
King’s Meaburn is just 2 miles from Maulds Meaburn. The Lyvennet runs past the village and provides a pleasant walk along the banks here.
Meaburn Hall was built in 1610, and was the home of the first Earl of Lonsdale.
The village has a real ale pub, The White Horse, and a small caravan site nearby.
Related Links :