The Haltwhistle to Alston Railway
The 13 mile Haltwhistle to Alston Railway was opened in 1852 to exploit the mineral wealth – including lead, coal and limestone – of Alston Moor. It was closed in 1976.
Since 1983 the South Tynedale Railway has been operating narrow guage passenger trains along a two and a quarter mile stretch of the line from Alston to Kirkhaugh. There are plans to extend the line by another two and a quarter miles from Kirkhaugh to Slaggyford.
The disused sections are home to the 23 mile South Tyne Trail, open to both walkers and cyclists and includes the restored Lambley Viaduct which carried the railway over the River South Tyne.
Photos by Simon Ledingham.
Related Links :
Go to Menu :